ST PETRONIUS AND BOLOGNA
The construction of the last important Gothic church in Italy commenced in 1390. The Basilica in Bologna was erected on the grounds where a medieval neighbourhood once stood, demolished by the City Council. Work on the Basilica continued for three centuries and involved great artists: from Jacopo della Quercia to Giovanni da Modena, from Parmigianino to Lorenzo Costa, from Amico Aspertini to Michelangelo. Together with distinguished art historians (Andrea Emiliani, Antonio Paolucci, Eugenio Riccomini), and a performance by Giorgio Comaschi, we will travel through the culture and history of the city of Bologna, a city that is reflected in its church. The church was also linked to the prestigious university where historic events were staged (the coronation of Charles V), and was the centre of sacred music between the 17th and 18th century, its organs fully functioning still today.